Expanding his worldview

January 20, 2023
Picture 1

Joining the College of Humanities and Sciences (CHS) was not fortuitous for Year 2 student Damien CHEW. Coming from a junior college background where he thoroughly enjoyed biology and chemistry, Damien saw CHS’ Major in Pharmaceutical Science as an ideal choice providing a nice integration between these two fields and their applications in the real-world context.

Damien’s interest in pharmaceutical science was also sparked by personal circumstances. Diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma shortly before his ‘A’ Level examinations spurred his interest in the drugs administered to him during chemotherapy.

He says, “I believe there are other ways that we can help treat diseases, which can include the formulation of various drugs to manage, treat and cure various conditions.”

He adds, “I also saw the timeliness and relevance of my course in the current pandemic, where the importance of vaccines and other drugs came to the fore.”

CHS also gave Damien the flexibility to broaden his intellectual horizons beyond the specificity of pharmaceutical science. With this in mind, he opted for a Second Major in Data Science and Analytics to acquire skills in data analytics and coding, which are crucial as many sectors, including healthcare, are now awash with Big Data.

He says, “I get to customise my learning programme while expanding my worldview at the same time.”

Find out more here https://www.science.nus.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/NUS-CHS-Pharm-Brochure.pdf or contact askchs@nus.edu.sg with your queries.